Friday 7 December 2012

Final Reflection of the ENG 204 Course


       Thanks to this ENG 204 Course I rediscovered my passion for reading and writing for both aesthetic and efferent purposes. I am now intrinsically motivated to get my 60+ poems out of a big, brown, wrinkled envelope and to use all the knowledge gained about the writing process -from prewriting to publishing- to enable me to discover my "diamonds" in the rough. A decade of procrastination to have my work critiqued by creative writers, and the like has come to a grinding halt.
       Despite the fact that there was some drilling involved in the classroom sessions as well as one-track thinking by some of my counterparts, my lecturer's teaching style has restructured my mode of thinking about how English Language should be taught. I am inspired to want to teach English Language in a more engaging way with students at the forefront , using social interactionist and constructivist learning approaches with the use of behaviourism sparingly. I now understand why there is just no getting away from direct teaching in the classroom sometimes. I am even more convinced that students need to take responsibility for their own learning and it is my job to tap into their metacognitive thought processes (as my lecturer demonstrated to us) to expell ideas that are looming in their heads that are of value to their learning to become independent readers and writers.

I created a list of key words that should come to every student's mind when approaching the writing process from beginning through to the end.

1. THINK/ (ENVISION)

2.DISCOVER

3.EXPLORE

4.CREATE

5.QUESTION

6.DISCUSS/SHARE

7.INTEGRATE

8.CHANGE (MODIFY)

9. STRIVE

10. SUCCESS (CELEBRATE)

Summarily, this was a life changing experience that does not end here-theory has to be put into practice in the near and not to distant future.

To all  fellow ENG 204 bloggers, subscribers, friends and family,

I bid you a heartfelt farewell. Without your comments and views my inspiration to write for an audience would not have flourished as much as it did.

Sincerely


Jueanne Cherubin




























No comments:

Post a Comment